This recipe was served up to me in my Realplans meal plan and to be honest I really was skeptical. I think it was the eggs? Thank goodness that I made this because it is now hands down one of my favorite meals. I used my favorite organic tomato sauce from Spiral Foods because they make a fantastic sauce and it makes my life easier. You could use another sauce or make your own but make sure it is Whole30 compliant (no sugar or additives). This makes a great lunch if you whip it up the night before. Serve along with a handful of rocket with vinaigrette.
- 3 medium eggplants
- 3 large organic eggs
- 1 Jar Spiral Foods Organic Pizza/Pasta tomato sauce (commonsense, Moore Wilson)
- coarse sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Few sprigs of chopped parsley or basil
- Preheat oven to 180C. Peel and slice the eggplants into discs. Beat the eggs in a small bowl separately.
- Place eggplant on a baking sheet and douse both sides of the eggplant with olive oil. Bake for about 15 -20 minutes, or until eggplant is lightly golden and soft. Remove from oven leaving oven on.
- Grease a medium size baking dish lightly with olive oil. Layer 1/3 of eggplant, top with 1/3 of sauce and repeat twice more.Pour eggs evenly over dish.
- Bake uncovered at 180C for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley or basil.